Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Year in Review

May is always such a bittersweet time of the year because it marks new beginnings and endings.  Maybe it's just finals procrastination, but I've been feeling really nostalgic these past few days about all of the great things that this year has taught me, and all the memories I've gained.  I've got to say this year has been one hell of a ride.  Balancing a full academic schedule, a volunteer position at Southern Arizona Aids Foundation, a waitress job at Dirtbags Bar, serving as the Vice President of TriCats, living in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority with my lovely 86 roommates, as well as the occasional swim, bike and run workouts made me feel like I was being pulled in 100 directions.  Looking back on it, I probably took on too many responsibilities, stayed out too late, and drank a little too much coffee.  However, there have been some amazing lessons I have learned from my year as a triathlete who lives in a sorority house and works at a bar.

Branch out.
I've learned that associating yourself with people from all different walks of life brings out the best in you as a person.  Stereotypes aren't always accurate, in fact they rarely are.  I've learned SO much from my teammates, co-workers, and Kappas that has really opened up my eyes.  Seeing the very best in everyone is something that I focus on.  Everyone can teach you something- you just have to be willing to learn.  If all of the people you're surrounded by look, think, and act the same way-go find new people to surround yourself with.

Say yes.
There will always be something that you should be doing.  You should start that paper, you should go to that meeting, you should send those emails.  If you're always doing what's required of you, you're going to miss out on a whole lot.  Say yes to a last minute trip to disneyland, late night trips to dairy queen, staying at the Mumford and Sons show even when it's hailing golf balls, trekking out on the edge of the Grand Canyon when you're terribly afraid of heights, and Mt. Lemmon rides just because.

Family fixes everything. 
Calling home is the solution to virtually any problem.  Cheryl, Woody, and Ian  (aka ma, pa, and bro) are somehow always right.  Also, calling your grandparents may take 10 minutes out of your day, but it will make theirs.  You never know how long you have with the people you love.

Change your perspective.
I am a self-proclaimed stubborn person.  However, this year has taught me that it's okay to tame my iron-willed nature and accept the fact that I'm not always right.

Love what you do.
This year I've enjoyed workouts and triathlon in general because I've had some pretty fantastic company.  It's not hard to wake up to happy people with an insane tenacity to work hard to better themselves in one way or another.

Don't be afraid of change.
I was a part of some pretty big decisions this year, and even though taking the step to make big changes can be scary, it's worth it.  People may not understand your reasons for change at first, but if you have the best interest of everyone in mind, your intentions will reveal themselves eventually.  Being a leader doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to make everyone happy, but doing what's best for the group as a whole.

Show gratitude.
I couldn't have gotten through this year without the amazing ladies of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  Kappa has fully accepted me with all of my nerdy cycling clothes, goggle marks, and unfortunate tan lines.  My roommates didn't mind when I had two bikes and two extra wheelsets in our 4 person apartment that should realistically fit 1 person, and they always had flowers waiting on my desk after a big race. I'm so blessed to be a part of such an amazing group of diverse people who support me in everything I do. I'm so happy that I amma!
http://uakkg.tumblr.com/


I'm excited for the adventures to be had this summer in Europe, and for my senior year at Arizona.  Cheers!







We signed our first lease! 
Q-Roos and 6 inch heels

Splash Mountain

The best part of Albuquerque
Pre race chats with Jimmy Riccitello

Hiking in Angel Fire- January 2014
Pike Serenade with the best of em'

Spent a week driving all over Arizona with these girls
It's the little things in life

Tailgate season



Balloon Fiesta 2014
Kappa Kappa Gatsby with my lovely roommates
My first legal drink with my parents-"The Under Construction 
My favorite boys! 
My amazing teammate- MaryKate Callahan
TriCat Ladies team pictures
Individually unique, together complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment